Pillowcases are fun to make and a great project for the absolute beginner! This pillowcase tutorial is so quick and easy that you’ll be finding yourself making pillowcases for everyone! In this simple tutorial you’ll learn how to sew a pillowcase for beginners.
Easy Pillowcase Pattern For Beginners
Ever wondered how to sew a pillowcase? Turns out, it’s one of the easiest and most enjoyable sewing projects I made and great for beginners to practice their skills. In this pillowcase tutorial I’ll teach you how to make a very simple and basic pillowcase perfect even for the ultimate beginner!
Most of my pillows are the standard size so I can normally find pillowcases for with no problems. Except for one which happens to be my most favorite. In fact, in the recent year I’ve noticed that every time I’m away and rest my head on a different pillow I basically end up with no sleep. I’m addicted to my beloved pillow!
My mom made it for me and I’ve been using it for years and it looks as if is new. So this pillowcase tutorial is for that particular pillowcase size that fits my beloved pillow but the principle is quite the same, no matter the size. I love easy sewing ideas and this lovely project fits the bill perfectly!
This pillowcase tutorial is super quick as it takes just about half an hour to make from start to finish. It’s a great project for the absolute beginners since it doesn’t involve anything complicated, just a few straight lines and only simple stitches.
These easy sewing ideas for pillowcases can also make an awesome gift and are a great addition to your DIY home decor. Not to mention a wonderful way to clean up your fabric scraps stash (I know you already got that stash even if you just started sewing! these babies are magic!). Here’s how to make a simple pillowcase!
- fabric for cuff (I used 100% cotton, similar here) – for my pillow my measures where 12″ x 35″ = 30 cm x 90 cm
- fabric for main body (100% cotton, similar here) – my measures where 18″ x 35″ = 45 cm x 90 cm
- fabric marker
- measuring tape or long ruler
- sewing machine
- Wash, dry and iron your fabric.
- Fold fabrics in half for easy cut of your rectangles.
- Fold the cuff in half, lengthwise and iron down the fold.
- Match up the raw edges of your cuff withe the right side of your pillowcase body, pin and sew with a 1/2″ allowance. Serge or zig zag to finish the seam.
- Iron out your seam.
- Add a top stitch, about 1/8″ over from your seam edge. This is optional but it adds extra strength to the seam and I love the decorative look.
- Fold this big rectangle in half and match up the sides and bottom of the pillowcase, with fabric right sides together. Pin and sew all the way down the side and bottom.
- When you reach the corner, lift the foot, pivot the fabric and continue sewing.
- Serge or zig zag the seams.
- Turn the pillowcase right side out, making sure to push the corners all the way out.
- Iron the seams flat.
- You’re done! You are now the proud owner of one fun looking pillow! Don’t you just love easy sewing ideas like this one?
Pin to save for later
GET MORE INSPIRATION HERE >> FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST