Easy Knit Dress With Pockets
- pattern for bodice and sleeve (download from here, available in size 10/Medium)
- 2,5 yards knit fabric with a good stretch
- knit needle
- matching thread
- fabric scissors
- optional – walking foot (if you don’t have one, just adjust the presser foot tension to a loose setting)
- measuring tape
- chalk wheel
- knit tape or soft interfacing for hem
- sewing machine
- pressing iron
- Print your patterns from here.
- Cut fabric: 2 on fold for front bodice, 2 on fold for back bodice, 2 on fold for sleeve. Make sure the most stretch goes sideways for bodice.
- On a large piece of fabric draw a trapeze for the front skirt and one for back skirt as indicated below.
SEE MY MOST RECENT VIDEOS HERE
- You should end up with 2 sleeves, 1 front bodice, 1 back bodice, 1 front panel and 1 back panel for skirt, 2 pockets.
- Take a long strip of fabric of 5″ wide, fold in half lengthwise and press (you’ll be using this for binding your sleeves, pockets and neckline so make sure the strip is super long)
- Place bodice pieces wrong side out and pin together at shoulders.
- Pin sleeves to dress at sides and middle only, for this step. This is to establish the middle.
- Make small gathers in the middle, at shoulder, pin and sew down. (alternately, use your sewing machine settings to create the gathers but don’t over do it; you only need soft gathers).
- Repeat for the bottom part of the sleeve, also soft gathers (this step doesn’t show in the video; I realized sleeve is too wide and doesn’t look fit and sweet without some small gathers so I took the binding down and added some later, complete nightmare so save yourself the trouble and do these gathers now)
- Completely pin sleeves to dress and sew down.
- Finish your sleeves with binding, making sure to the binding is about 1/2″ longer than sleeve, on both sides. With sleeve right side up, place binding with raw edged matching sleeve’s raw edges, pin and sew down. Press binding up.
- Join front bodice and skirt front panel at sides and middle, fabrics wrong side out. This is to establish the middle and create the pleats. Using the middle pin as mark, make a fold in the skirt panel, to the left and then to the right, about 2″ = 5 cm on each side of the pin. Make sure the folds meet completely at the pin mark. Pin in place and sew down.
- Place the pockets wrong side out, fold the sides and bottom in, pin and sew down.
- Take a piece of binding and attach it to the top of the pockets, raw edges together, leaving 1/2″ binding allowance on each side. Press binding up.
- Attach pockets to skirt, with the binding allowance folded under the pocket. Sew down an X where the binding folds. Make sure you don’t sew through both skirt panels.
- Place front dress over back dress, wrong sides out, pin along sides and sew down. Trim excess sleeve binding, as needed.
- Pin binding to the neckline, raw edges together. Make sure binding is about 1″ longer than neckline. When done pinning, open one end of the binding and fold in. Insert the other end into this fold and pin in place. Sew all around neckline.
- Add knit tape or soft interfacing to the hem (as indicated here) and finish the hem.
- Give it a last press and enjoy your easy knit dress with pockets!
Pages: 1 2