Cleaning your stove top is easy when you know how to do it and what products to use. Get it to shine the safe way! Here’s how to clean a stove naturally.
How to clean a stove naturally
For years I’ve loathed cleaning my stove top, mainly because I never got time to do it right after I cooked a meal and the grease kept building up until there wasn’t much I could do to get rid of it. Unless I used store bought cleaners which I also hated because they were stinging my eyes and hands and left red spots on my skin. It was literally eating my skin! Not a pretty view but at least the stove was spotless, I should’ve been happy, right?
Wrong! I wanted to try an easier and much healthier way and since I cleaned my pans so successfully with this method, using my citrus vinegar cleaner and baking soda, I figured it should work for my stove top too. I was afraid the mixture won’t be that strong for my super dirty stove so I added fine salt and left the mixture on overnight. It worked really well, except for a little spot which I had to clean again with the same method. My stove was very greasy and had burnt spots so it took some extra work but for a regular stove, it shouldn’t be that hard.
It did take longer than with store bought cleaners but I’m more than happy with the result and especially that I managed to keep my house and lungs free of chemicals and fumes. The citrus vinegar cleaner I used was highly concentrated and in contact with baking soda bubbles up and lifts the grease off the stove. Salt acts as a mild abrasive and will remove stains and melt the grease.
If you don’t have a citrus vinegar cleaner it’s perfectly fine to use regular white wine vinegar and just add a few drops of essential oils of your choice to make it smell nice and cover the vinegar pungent scent (citrus work best in my opinion).
Here’s how to clean a stove naturally
- Baking soda (as needed)
- Citrus vinegar cleaner (or vinegar)
- Fine Salt (as needed)
- Dish washing liquid
- Kitchen sponge
- Lightly clean the stove with dish washing liquid, water and a sponge.
- Sprinkle a mixture of equal parts baking soda and salt over the stove top. Cover the area evenly
- Mist citrus vinegar cleaner and wait for the mixture to bubble up for a few minutes.
- Lightly rub the mixture over the stove top so you can get a paste like texture, making sure the stove is entirely covered in this paste.
- Leave on for as long as you need to (min. 30 min for less greasy stoves and overnight for very dirty stoves)
- When ready to clean, mist some more citrus vinegar and lightly rub the paste then clean with wipes.
- If you need to, repeat the process for extra dirty spots.
- Wipe down a few times to get the stove really clean and remove all the paste.
- That’s it! Easy peasy way to clean your stove top without scratching! And it works as wonderfully for your oven too!
Homemade Drain Cleaner