Get those annoying fruit flies out of your kitchen without any heavy engineering! These simple natural fruit fly control methods use stuff you already have in your kitchen and require no cutting, taping, or other head scratching DIY tinkering.
Being able to have fresh fruit in the house is one of the things I love most about Spring and Summer. It’s so nice to keep fruit in plain sight as we all tend to eat healthier this way; they’re so tempting, especially those bright red apples!
But it all comes with a downside: those nasty fruit flies! No matter how careful I am in removing ripe fruit immediately, they’re still there. They pop up from everywhere, even when there’s no rotten fruit in sight. I think they just like to hang around, they’ve come to consider us family or buddies so they simply make themselves comfortable in our house. After all, that’s what good friends do, right?
I hate to break their tiny hearts but the feeling is not mutual, I don’t enjoy their friendship! So I had to do something to get rid of them. It may take a consistent effort, on a daily basis, but these fruit fly control methods are natural and safe for my house and family.
Natural fruit fly spray recipe
- 2 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp dish washing soap
- 1 tbsp peppermint oil
- 1 tbsp lemon oil
- Mix all ingredients in a spray bottle
- Shake well
- Use to spray directly on fruit flies
- You may need to use the spray several times a day, on a daily basis
Fruit fly trap
- White Vinegar
- Dish soap
- Mason jar
- Plastic wrap
- Pour just enough white vinegar to cover the bottom of the jar (I found cider vinegar is not strong enough for my fruit flies).
- Add a drop of dish soap (it will break the surface tension of the vinegar so the fruit flies can't just sit atop the liquid).
- Cover the jar with plastic wrap and poke a few holes in the top.
- Secure with a piece of rope
- The flies will get in easily, drawn by the smell of vinegar but won't be able to find their way out
- Place jars around the house where fruit flies tend to gather. Occasionally check the jars, remove content and place fresh vinegar.
- You may use left over wine and the bottle
- You can use ripe fruit instead of vinegar
Also another natural fruit fly control method is keeping the drains clean as that’s another place where fruit flies tend to breed. Check back soon as I’ll be featuring my method for cleaning pipes and drain the natural, healthy way.