Article may contain Amazon & affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Need an easy gift idea for Valentine’s Day? This darling mug rug pattern is easy to make and practical and would make a great gift for a wedding, an anniversary or just for every day use!
Mug Rug pattern
My little daughter loves sipping her tea almost every afternoon, paired with a couple of biscuits while watching her favorite show. It’s her way of relaxing and spending a few, quiet moments just with herself (to our delight as we don’t get many of those!). I thought it would be nice to surprise her with an adorable and practical accessory for her tea mug so I put together a super quick and fun Valentine mug rug pattern!
This reversible heart and ruffles Valentine mug rug takes less than 30 minutes to make, even faster if you are an experienced sewist. This mug mat is great for beginners and also a perfect project for all those fabric scraps you’ve been throwing in your scrap basket. So if you’ve been wondering if you’ll ever find a nice use for them, now is the perfect time to pay those beloved scraps a visit.
Similar posts you might like:
- Heart fabric bookmark
- Valentine’s day fabric envelopes
- Fabric bowl covers
- French braid sewing mat
- Pumpkin mug rug
- DIY coffee cup cozy
- Round quilted pot holders
For my mug rug pattern I used scraps from the Flutter sleeve dress I made for Ellie a while ago. And I decided to make the mug rugs as girly as possible so hearts and ruffles seemed just the right choice for this cute mug rug tutorial . I also had some batting scraps which I thought I’d never get to use in a real project and almost threw away (glad I haven’t).
I also made templates for my mug rug pattern (one for the the mug rug and two for the hearts appliques) and asked Ellie to draw a couple of hearts for me as I wanted to add a personal touch to these cuties. You can use my templates or ask your little ones to draw some for you.
The templates for the mug rug and the applique are available here!
Valentine Mug Rug
- Templates for mug rug and hearts.
- 2 squares of 8″x 8″ scraps of fabric for the circle (1 main and 1 backing fabric)
- 1 square of 8″ x 8″ batting
- 2 square of 4″x 4″ for hearts (one on each side of the mug rug)
- Double sided fusible interfacing
- 1 strip of 50″ x 5″ for the ruffles
- Pinking Shears (optional)
- Seam allowance is 1/2″
How do you make a mug rug?
- Using the templates cut 3 circles from your main fabric, backing and batting.
- Trace the hearts into your Heat’n Bond or fusible interfacing.
- Iron onto the back of your fabric scraps following the manufacturer directions and cut out.
- Take the front fabric and arrange the heart where you want it to sit and iron on.
- Sew around the heart using a zig zag or decorative stitch (practice on a piece of scrap fabric first)
- Do the same for the backing fabric and the second heart.
- Make the ruffle: fold the fabric strip in half, iron then turn the ends in and sew.
- Gather the strip along the raw edge of the fabric with your machine or by hand, so the resulted ruffled strip would fit the circles.
- Place ruffle and front fabric right sides together, pin and sew.
- Arrange the circle fabric this way: front fabric right side up, backing fabric wrong side out, batting. Pin in place and stitch all the way around.
- Leave a 2″ opening to turn the mug rug inside out.
- Make some notches around the seam, making sure you don’t clip through the seam. Or use pinking sheers.
- Turn right side out, press seams, sew the opening close and do a topstitch all around the mug rug.
- Give it a good press and you’re done!
Most popular sewing projects:
- DIY corded bag handles
- How to laminate cotton fabric at home
- Tips for sewing a round hem
- Flutter sleeve dress pattern