Need an easy gift idea for Valentine’s Day? This Valentine mug rug is cute and practical and would make a great gift for a wedding, an anniversary or just for every day use!
Valentine Mug Rug
My little daughter loves sipping her tea almost every afternoon, paired with a couple of biscuits while watching her favorite show. It’s her way of relaxing and spending a few, quiet moments just with herself (to our delight as we don’t get many of those!). I thought it would be nice to surprise her with an adorable and practical accessory for her tea mug so I put together a super quick and fun Valentine mug rug!
This heart and ruffles Valentine mug rug pattern takes less than 30 minutes to make, even faster if you are more experienced. This mug mat is great for beginners and also a perfect project for all those fabric scraps you’ve been throwing in your scrap basket. So if you’ve been wondering if you’ll ever find a nice use for them, now is the perfect time to pay those beloved scraps a visit.
Similar posts you might like:
- Heart fabric bookmark
- Valentine’s day fabric envelopes
- Fabric bowl covers
- French braid sewing mat
- Pumpkin mug rug
For my Valentine mug rug I used scraps from the Flutter sleeve dress I made for Ellie a while ago. And I decided to make the mug rugs as girly as possible so hearts and ruffles seemed just the right choice for this cute mug rug tutorial . I also had some batting scraps which I thought I’d never get to use in a real project and almost threw away (glad I haven’t).
I also made templates for my Valentine mug rug (one for the the mug rug and two for the hearts appliques) and asked Ellie to draw a couple of hearts for me as I wanted to add a personal touch to these cuties. You can use my templates or ask your little ones to draw some for you.
The templates are available to purchase here or get them free when you join my sewing newsletter!
Get FREE access to my entire resource library!
Signup for updates on new articles, products & special offers and get access to my entire resource library!
You have Successfully Subscribed!
Mug Rug pattern
- Templates for circle and hearts, downloadable here.
- 2 squares of 8″x 8″ scraps of fabric for the circle (1 main and 1 backing fabric)
- 1 square of 8″ x 8″ batting
- 2 square of 4″x 4″ for hearts (one on each side of the mug rug)
- Heat’n Bond
- 1 strip of 50″ x 5″ for the ruffles
- Pinking Shears (optional)
- Seam allowance is 1/2″
- Using the templates cut 3 circles from your main fabric, baking and batting.
- Trace the hearts into your Heat’n Bond.
- Iron onto the back of your fabric scraps following the manufacturer directions and cut out.
- Take the front fabric and arrange the heart where you want it to sit and iron on.
- Sew around the heart using a zig zag or decorative stitch (practice on a piece of scrap fabric first)
- Do the same for the backing fabric and the second heart.
- Make the ruffle: fold the fabric strip in half, iron then turn the ends in and sew.
- Gather the strip along the raw edge of the fabric with your machine or by hand, so the resulted ruffled strip would fit the circles.
- Place ruffle and front fabric right sides together, pin and sew.
- Arrange the circle fabric this way: front fabric right side up, backing fabric wrong side out, batting. Pin in place and stitch all the way around.
- Leave a 2″ opening to turn the mug rug inside out.
- Make some notches around the seam, making sure you don’t clip through the seam. Or use pinking sheers.
- Turn right side out, press seams, sew the opening close and do a topstitch all around the mug rug.
- Give it a good press and you’re done!
Most popular sewing projects:
- DIY corded bag handles
- How to laminate cotton fabric at home
- Tips for sewing a round hem
- Flutter sleeve dress pattern