With endless color choices, Christmas fabric buntings are an excellent way to add color and texture to a room, the easy and quick way. Make your own DIY Christmas bunting in just a few steps with this easy fabric bunting tutorial.
Make your own bunting
This simple and super quick fabric bunting is cute enough to spruce up any room for any occasion but I’m particularly fond to these at Christmas! I don’t normally like home decor on my walls as I’m super minimalist but Christmas is contagious, can’t help but to decorate anything in sight!
More Christmas sewing ideas:
- Christmas stocking pattern
- Elf stocking pattern
- DIY cutlery holder sewing tutorial
- Fabric Christmas tree ornaments
- Christmas tree pillows
- Yoyo Christmas trees
- Mini mitten Christmas ornaments
I have this little empty corner in my living room, where I try to grow a ficus plant. The plant looks quite lonely over there and I thought I would make something cute to keep it company. And what’s best than a little Christmasy fabric bunting? This DIY fabric bunting is also an excellent way to find a good use for all those fabric scraps I keep stashing!
This Christmas bunting is a great beginner sewer project since it’s super-easy and no complicated skills are involved! And it looks very pretty hanging on walls, in trees or even on a fence. If you’ve ever wondered how to make fabric bunting, now is the perfect time to learn and make a couple for yourself or even give these as gifts. Celebrate the Christmas with a quick and easy last minute holiday fabric bunting!
Make your own bunting in no time before the guests arrive if you host a party and you’re not quite finished decorating! Just in time for Christmas! The template is available to purchase here or get it free when you join my sewing newsletter!
- Fabrics in various colors, patterns and textures (I used cotton, burlap, soft felt and organza)
- Ribbon (I used golden ribbon I’ve got from this Burlap table runner project) – 2 strips. Alternatively, use bias tape.
- Optional – Template (download from here if you don’t want to make your own)
- Cutting mat
- Rotary cutter
- Print out your template.
- Fold fabric in half and cut around the template. This way you’ll have two layers of fabric at the same time. Use the ruler to cut straight lines.
- Put the fabric triangles right side together and sew down the long sides.
- Trim excess fabric at the tip.
- Turn the triangle right side out and using a pointy tool (but not too sharp) push the tip of the triangle (I used a crayon)
- Do as many triangles as you like then press them all.
- Trim the excess fabric sticking out.
- Time to attach the triangles to the ribbon. Put the 2 ribbon strips right side together and sew down on one side, as close to the edge as possible.
- Open up the ribbon casing and arrange your fabric triangles as you like.
- Close the ribbon casing and pin
- Sew down as close to the the edge as possible.
- Press again and hang on a wall, your Christmas tree or your fence.
Now that you know how to make your own bunting, you’ll probably want to keep making these cuties over and over again!
Pin to save for later
Similar posts you might like:
Most Popular Sewing articles