Need an awesome homemade egg drop soup recipe? This Italian egg drop soup is super quick to make but tastes like you’ve spent the whole evening in the kitchen!
Egg drop soup
If you’ve been looking for a healthy egg drop soup, this amazing Italian egg drop soup is exactly what you’re looking for and so much more! You will fall in love with this soup with the very first sip!
We love soups but in warm seasons we try to avoid hot or warm soups. But this lovely Italian egg drop soup is wonderful in every season as it can be served hot or cold straight from the fridge! I just did that and the flavors in this amazing recipe were still so incredible!
Need more soup recipes?
- Chicken chili with sweet potatoes
- Easy chicken wings soup
- Chicken whole egg soup
- Turkey veggie soup with ham
- Meatballs soup
- Tomato ravioli soup
Print the recipe
Pin to save for later
This easy egg drop soup takes minutes to make (literally!) as it’s prepared and cooked in about 25 minutes! The perfect dinner idea for all those crazy busy weeknights! Even when you’re crazy busy and cooking dinner is the last thing on your mind, this wonderful Italian egg drop soup makes your life so much easier and so flavorful!
I made my egg drop soup with pasta and chickpeas to make it more consistent and filling and I used whole wheat pasta to add a little bit more healthiness to my already healthy soup! Call me crazy but I love the abundance of greens in this Italian egg drop soup! I think it gives the soup much more appeal, making it simply irresistible!
We served our egg drop soup recipe simple, without any bread or a side dish but I totally see this working well with garlic bread and a large mixed greens salad with a lemon garlic vinaigrette. You could even add a touch of sour cream or yogurt if you like to make it a little bit more sour than it is.
Sides you might enjoy serving with this recipe
- Garlic bread chips
- Baked Parmesan potato stacks
- Baked potato chips in tomato garlic sauce
- Fried cheesy pickle rolls
- Braided vegetable tart
My Italian egg drop recipe makes 4, please adjust as needed. If you decide to make this amazing recipe, don’t forget to drop your thoughts in the comments below this post!
Make the recipe
Italian Egg Drop Soup
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- one cup whole-wheat fusilli pasta (or other small pasta)
- 1 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed well
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, whites and greens separated
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups chopped arugula, tough stems removed
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine broth, water, pasta, chickpeas, scallion whites and nutmeg in a soup pot. Bring to a boil over high heat then cook 3 minutes less than directed on the pasta package.
- Stir in arugula and cook about 1 minute.
- Slowly add eggs and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add pepper and stir in the scallion greens and lime juice.
- Ladle into bowls and top with freshly grated Parmesan.