Make your own envelope with this easy peasy fabric envelopes tutorial! These adorable DIY envelopes are perfect as Valentine envelopes for love letters but they work just as great as fabric envelope pouches for small gifts or treats for kids!
Emails might be faster but a letter in a mail is so much more meaningful! And when they’re delivered in fabric envelopes, that speaks volumes! Perfect for Valentine’s day love letters, these lovely DIY envelopes can be much more than just messengers of love!
Need more Valentine ideas?
- Hearts and ruffles valentine mug rug
- Valentine’s day pillow crafts
- Valentine wreath
- Hearts wall decor for Valentine’s Day
- Half apron with heart pockets
- Valentine round crossbody bag
I made these fabric envelopes for my little daughter who loves celebrating Valentine’s day! She and I believe Valentine’s day is not meant for couples only, it’s supposed to be the day when love of all kinds is celebrated. And since our little family has lots of love to share, we kind of made it a tradition to share little things that are truly meaningful and say “I love you” like nothing else does.
Just like these cute fabric envelopes which will end up being filled with candy for Ellie and small paper crafts made by Ellie for me.
But I think these fabric envelope pouches look super cute as home decor too, particularly in a girls’ room! And I would totally use these to keep sewing notions and small craft supplies organized and easy to reach. These are just too cute to resist, I could fill my whole sewing/craft room with these tiny gems! The pom poms and the pink cording add even more cuteness and that’s why I opted for these instead of adding buttons or Velcro as I considered initially.
The fabric envelope pattern is super easy to make if you want to draw your own. But if you’re not feeling adventurous, I made an envelope pattern (well, actually two because I made two types of envelopes). They’re available to purchase here or get them free when you join my sewing newsletter.
Get FREE access to my entire resource library!
Signup for updates on new articles, products & special offers and get access to my entire resource library!
You have Successfully Subscribed!
- fabric envelope template
- fabric scraps in cute patterns and colors
- fabric marker
- blunt tool to push corners
- pom poms
- hand needle
- decorative cording or bakers twine
- matching thread
- sewing machine
- Place two different fabric right sides together and top with the envelope pattern.
- Cut out the fabrics.
- With the fabric still right sides facing, pin the edges and the top.
- Sew with 1/2 seam allowance. Leave the bottom open.
- Trim the tip.
- Cut a notch in each of the side corners.
- Trim the allowance to 1/4″.
- Turn fabrics right side out through the open bottom.
- Push the corners out with a blunt tool like a bamboo skewer then press the fabric.
- Clip the bottom inside corner about 1/8″
- Fold the bottom edges in, about 1/8″
- Fold the bottom corners inside, 1/8″
- Press everything very well.
- Edge stitch down the bottom.
- Fold the bottom of the envelope up, until the bottom corners are just about 1/8″ below the top side corners.
- Edge stitch around the sides and the top of the envelope.
- Fold the top of the envelope down and press.
- Hand stitch a matching pom poms to the flap and one in the middle of the bottom part of the envelope.
- Wrap some cording or bakers twine around these pom poms and your pretty fabric envelopes are done! Enjoy!
I hope you liked my tutorial and as always, if you do, please let me know in the comments and rate this tutorial! Thanks!
Pin to save for later
Other cute pouches & bags you might like:
- Lined zipper pouch
- Hello Kitty coin purse
- Essential oils carrier pouch
- Chicken fabric weights pouches
- Bunny treat bags
Most popular sewing projects:
- Tips for sewing a round hem
- How to make corded bag handles
- Laminating cotton fabrics
- Flutter sleeve dress pattern
Latest posts by Petro (see all)
- Reusable Snack Bag Sewing Tutorial - June 20, 2019
- 35 Easy crafts for kids to keep them entertained all summer long - June 18, 2019
- Sparkling Lemon Berry Iced Tea - June 17, 2019