Valentine Mug Rug
- Templates for circle and hearts, downloadable here.
- 2 squares of 8″x 8″ = 22 x 22 cm scraps of fabric for the circle (1 main and 1 backing fabric)
- 1 square of 8″ x 8″ = 22 x 22 cm batting
- 2 square of 4″x 4″ = 11 x 11 cm for hearts (one on each side of the mug rug)
- Heat’n Bond
- 1 strip of 50″ x 5″ = 126 x 14 cm for the ruffles
- Pinking Shears (optional)
- Seam allowance is 1/2″ = 1.25 cm
- Using the templates cut 3 circles from your main fabric, baking and batting.
- Trace the hearts into your Heat’n Bond.
- Iron onto the back of your fabric scraps following the manufacturer directions and cut out.
- Take the front fabric and arrange the heart where you want it to sit and iron on.
- Sew around the heart using a zig zag or decorative stitch (practice on a piece of scrap fabric first)
- Do the same for the backing fabric and the second heart.
- Make the ruffle: fold the fabric strip in half, iron then turn the ends in and sew.
- Gather along the raw edge of the fabric with your machine or by hand, so the resulted ruffled strip would fit all the way around the circles.
- Place ruffle and front fabric right sides together, pin and sew.
- Arrange the circle fabric this way: front fabric right side up, backing fabric wrong side out, batting. Pin in place and stitch all the way around, leaving a 2″ opening to turn the mug rug inside out.
- Make some notches around the seam, making sure you don’t clip through the seam. Or use pinking sheers.
- Turn right side out, press seams, sew the opening close and do a topstitch all around the mug rug.
- Give it a good press and you’re done!
Similar posts you might like
Most popular sewing projects
Pages: 1 2