Learn how to topstitch or sew nice, even seam allowances with an easy trick! Here’s how to make your own simple and cheap seam guide with this tutorial on DIY seam guide.
Sewing machine seam guide
Today’s tutorial is going to be super short but super sweet too! Because you’ll get to learn a trick to the perfect DIY seam guide! Why is this the most amazing seam allowance guide you’ll ever need? Because it’s crazy cheap (most likely free) and its’s ready in the blink of an eye!
Want more easy sewing tips?
- How to use the seam ripper properly
- How to match stripes perfectly
- Easy spaghetti straps
- Easy way to turn tubes right side out without a tube turner
- Sewing sharp corners and points
- Elastic join tip to reduce bulk
- DIY hem guide
- 12 ways for finishing seams
Not long ago I purchased this super duper seam guide foot which proved to be really useful and oh so easy to use, I now use it in most of my projects instead of my regular foot.
But before this cool gadget I had a hard time sewing my seams super straight, nice and even all the time! I’ve always been pretty good at sewing really nice straight seams starting from day one of my sewing journey. But there were still times when my eyes were playing tricks on me and my hands weren’t listening to the commands my brain was struggling to send unsuccessfully. So I had to come up with an idea and one day, this DIY seam guide was born.
To be honest, it wasn’t my idea! It came from my aunt who’s been sewing for most of her life and apparently has been using this trick ever since the world got blessed with yet another awesome invention: the post-it pads! Oops, spoiler alert! (lol in case the photo above didn’t give it away just yet). Yes the trick is in the humble post-it!
What I love most about this method is that the post-it acts like a seam guide but also helps preventing the fabric from sliding and moving in the wrong direction. It’s kind of forcing the fabric to go the right way and not slip. Here’s a quick step by step on how to use it as a seam guide.
Get FREE access to my entire resource library!
Signup for updates on new articles, products & special offers and get access to my entire resource library!
You have Successfully Subscribed!
DIY seam guide
- Post-it pad (preferably a larger one with plenty glue to the back)
- seam gauge or ruler
- erasable marker (optional)
- fabric to sew
- sewing machine
- Using your seam gauge, measure the seam allowance you need to sew, starting from the needle to the right.
- Mark the spot for ease of reference (this is optional).
- Remove the last page from the post it pad.
- Place the post it with the glue side right next to the mark you made on your sewing machine plate and press firmly.
- Place the fabric under the foot and push it to the right until the edge meets the pot it.
- Start sewing. At this point you only need to make sure the fabric doesn’t slip to the left as the right side is secured by the post it.
I hope you found this tutorial fun and informative! I would love to know your thoughts so please leave a comment below and don’t forget to rate it! Thanks and happy sewing!