This simple but stunning pocket tote bag pattern featuring a deep front pocket is the perfect roomy pocket tote bag to sew to carry just about anything you need! Create a one-of-a-kind large tote bag pattern by choosing colorful and coordinating fabrics for the bag, the pocket and the straps, for a chic yet low key custom look.
Pocket tote bag pattern
Everyone needs a great tote bag, don’t they? I absolutely love how this pocket tote bag pattern turned out! So cute but also stylish and roomy enough to hold a lot of stuff!
I have a soft spot for tote bags (but who doesn’t, right?) and every once in a while I tend to kind of binge on sewing totes! They’re fun and easy to make and in the right fabrics, with the right details they always make a statement! And the detail that makes this pocket bag pattern standing out is the simple but interesting deep front pocket!
Other bags you will love:
- 6 Pockets tote bag
- Drawstring makeup bag pattern
- DIY rope bag
- Round top tote with corded handles
- Color block tote bag
- One handle shopping bag pattern
I used the same fabric for the pocket and the back side of the tote and a complementing fabric for the front side of the bag and the straps which contrast with the rest of the bag but in a good way! I used medium weight canvas fabric for my pocket tote bag to give it more body and shape.
Sewing this tote bag was simply a breeze! To be honest, it took more time to cut and prepare the fabrics than the actual sewing process! The key to get great results with this bag is cutting the fabrics perfectly and interfacing so it might be a good idea to take your time on these steps.
If you want to add an extra touch to your bag or simply need another pocket, this tutorial teaches you how to add a welt zipper pocket to any bag.
Tote with pocket
Features of the deep front pocket tote pattern:
- This is a medium large tote bag with approximate measurements of 18″ by 18″, with straps measuring about 1 1/2″ by 22″
- Large deep front pocket
- Fully lined bag
- Possibility to add inside pockets
- Flat base
- Nice, comfortable handles
- Great pattern to showcase a really nice fabric print combination
- Contrast pocket and front bag for a little extra design flair
- Full step by step instructions on using pattern, cutting fabrics and sewing the bag
The pattern is available for purchase here.
- deep pocket tote bag pattern
- approx 1/2 yard of canvas fabric for the deep pocket & the back side of the bag
- approx 1/4 yard of fabric for the front side of the bag.
- about 2/3 yard of fabric for the lining (bag and pocket).
- about 1 yard of medium weight interfacing.
- a strip of fabric of 7″ by 23″ for the straps.
- measuring tape or yardstick
- quilting clips
- matching thread
- sewing machine
- pressing iron
Full step by step directions with photos are available on the PDF pattern file.
So if you’re looking for a roomy tote bag pattern with pockets, this lovely pocket tote bag pattern is the perfect accessory to add to your arsenal!
Pin to save for later