Love sewing a zipper skirt, dress or blouse? Here you’ll learn how to sew a zipper on a skirt with a quick and easy technique! With this method, you’ll be able to insert a concealed zip in any other garment too!
How to put a zip in a skirt
I am officially in love with zippers, they are so easy to use! I really don’t know why I was so terrified of them before, they really are easy to insert into about anything. It all takes just a little practice and some patience at first. In this short and easy tutorial I’ll continue the series of zipper installation with how to sew a zipper on a skirt. This concealed zip technique applies to basically any piece of garment, most commonly dresses or blouses.
Zippers are most times a really nice addition to any item, from clothing to bags or pouches. A zipper can really add a nice pop of color and an interesting design feature to any of these. This simple method will teach you how to sew a zipper on a skirt so that it looks more concealed and you can sew it on to be as visible or concealed as you like, using this simple and easy method. Note: This is not an invisible zipper tutorial though, that’s actually a different technique that you can find here.
How To Sew A Zipper On A Skirt
- 2 pieces of fabric
- zipper foot
- matching thread (for this tutorial I used contrast)
- sewing machine
- iron and ironing board
- seam ripper
- Put your 2 strips of fabric right sides together and sew them down using a basting stitch.
- Press that seam open.
- Place your zipper with the right side facing down on that seam, starting about 1/2″ from the top of the fabric to have some room for a seam allowance at the top (assuming you’re sewing this zipper on a piece of garment and not just for practice).
- Make sure you place the teeth of the zipper right on the line of the seam and pin it in place. If you’re using a longer zipper, make a mark where you’ll need to cut it short.
- Install your zipper foot and take the fabric over to your machine. Pass the zipper pull and press the presser foot down then start sewing as close to the zipper teeth as you like. Do a couple of back stitches.
- As you reach the end of the zipper, lift your presser foot, pivot the fabric and sew across the bottom of the zipper, lift your presser foot and pivot again then sew down the other side of the zipper.
- Stop as you get close to the zipper pull.
- Take your fabric on a side and rip the seam open so you can expose the zipper on the right side of the fabric too. Just make sure you don’t rip down to the bottom where you’ve sewn the zipper in place.
- Open the zipper a little, go back to your machine and continue sewing where the zipper pull used to be.
- And you’re done!
Have fun using this technique!
Simple way to sew a zipper for a pouch or bag
How to add a magnetic snap
Most popular sewing projects
Latest posts by Petro (see all)
- Reusable Snack Bag Sewing Tutorial - June 20, 2019
- 35 Easy crafts for kids to keep them entertained all summer long - June 18, 2019
- Sparkling Lemon Berry Iced Tea - June 17, 2019