These orange chicken drumsticks are marinated in a sauce of orange marmalade with herbs and spices and are baked, not fried for the ultimate, most delicious & sticky orange chicken recipe you’ll ever make!
Baked Orange Chicken Recipe
As I promised when I made this yummylicious orange marmalade, I’m back with a super duper recipe for orange chicken drumsticks! These sticky drumsticks are so easy to prepare and bake, even kids could do it! And we got “chef Ellie” to make this amazing recipe for us!
At only 6 years old, my little munchkin managed to follow my instructions and prepare the whole recipe from A to Z entirely on her own. Well, almost, because I didn’t have the heart to let her handle the oven and the hot baking sheet once this orange marmalade chicken recipe was ready. But other than that she’s put everything together by herself which proves these orange chicken drumsticks are foolproof and perfect even for the ultimate novice home cook.
Ellie’s sticky orange chicken was made with a delicious marinade of orange marmalade, herbs and spices and it’s so incredibly flavorful! I never thought orange would pair well with chicken but this homemade orange chicken proved me wrong! It all took minutes to prepare and the hardest part was to wait for the marinade to do it’s magic while the chicken was sitting in the fridge, for about 2 hours. The more you leave the meat in the marinade, the better it tastes but we got anxious (and really, really hungry!) so we decided 2 hours is more than what our drumsticks can bare lol
These mouthwatering orange chicken drumsticks are a great idea for weeknight dinners but I totally see this recipe making waves at barbecues, picnics and potlucks! No matter the occasion, I bet everyone will be impressed and ask for seconds! The recipe below is for 1 child and 1 adult so feel free to adjust according to your needs
Orange Chicken Drumsticks
- 5 chicken drumsticks
- sesame seeds for garnish
For the marinade:
- 1 cup orange marmalade (get the recipe here)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp powdered sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup orange juice (add more if you find the marinade too thick)
You will also need:
- Make the orange marmalade as instructed in the recipe.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients for marinade.
- Add chicken and turn to coat well. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to bake the chicken, pre heat the oven to 390 F and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Place drumsticks on the baking sheet and brush with marinade.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 50 minutes or until chicken is brown and cooked through. Turn chicken every once in a while to ensure even cooking.
- Meanwhile, heat up some of the marinade and use it to glaze the chicken when done.
- Serve orange chicken drumsticks hot or warm, glazed with heated marinade and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Side dishes that go well with sticky orange chicken:
- Roasted potatoes and mushrooms
- Florentine potatoes
- Baked garlicky sweet potato fries
- Mashed potato pancakes
- Couscous and roasted veggie salad
- Peach and blue cheese salad
- Fried zucchini in garlic vinegar sauce
- Roasted carrots, chickpeas, feta and baby spinach salad
- Roasted long sweet peppers in garlic vinegar sauce