Wondering how to make sewing easier? Check out this list of ingenious sewing tips that will help make your sewing experience a lot more easier and efficient! From sewing tips for beginners to sewing tricks even experienced sewists never heard of, this awesome list is full of clever sewing hacks you wish you knew sooner!
The best sewing tips and tricks
I have been sewing for a few good years and along my sewing journey I’ve discovered a few sewing tips I made sure I shared with you on the site, as I stumbled upon them. I am not as experienced as many of the readers here but I was pleasantly surprised to find out some of these sewing hacks were brand new for many of the more experienced ones.
Putting it this way may sound selfish but the reason I was happy about my discovery is not: I simply love helping others improve their sewing experience and learn new things! Just the same as I got to learn from others too, from my mom (who’s been sewing for almost 60 years), to my sewing buddies or some of the readers of this site.
Other tutorials you might like:
- Tips for sewing faster and more efficient
- Awesome projects to sew for kids
- Where to buy fabric online
- Adorable fabric scraps projects
- Sewing essentials that will make your life easier
- 30 Sewing gifts that are too cute to pass up
- Beginners sewing projects you should try today
- Back to school sewing projects
The sewing tips and tricks I got to share on the site were proving super helpful for many of you and this can only fill my heart with joy! I love sewing, in spite of the bad days (we all have them, every once in a while, right?). But I also love taking the easy peasy route! And that’s what these sewing tips are for! Whether you are new to sewing or you’re a pro, these sewing hacks are going to help you improve your skills and make sewing easier, faster and more productive!
Because, let’s be honest here! We all have things to learn when it comes to sewing and even if we’ve been sewing for a while, there are probably techniques we haven’t tried yet and it’s great to learn about! So, I’ve put together a roundup of some of my own sewing tips that I apply in all of my sewing projects.
Unusual sewing hacks
- Did you know you can get perfectly neat hems when you make your own hem gauge? This super duper hem gauge is so cheap and easy to make, with materials you already have on hand you’ll absolutely love it!
- Top stitch like a pro or sew perfect seam allowances when you learn this easy hack for making your own seam guide.
- Love the look of those teeny tiny spaghetti straps? Making your own rouleau straps is a lot easier and faster than you think! See this spaghetti straps trick!
- How do you turn the tubes of fabric right side out? This ingenious trick uses a household item you never thought of playing a part in your arsenal of sewing tools.
- Sewing sharp corners or points is like counting 1,2,3 with this easy trick!
- Bias tape is such a wonderful way to finish sewing projects! But did you know you can make your own bias tape at home without a bias tape maker or other fancy tools? All you need is a pin and your pressing iron! See how here!
- How do you join elastic ends? Do you like that much bulkiness? Me neither! That’s why I sew my elastics this way! No more bulk and the seam looks so pretty!
- Storing and organizing your spools and bobbins doesn’t have to cost you a thing when you make these bobbin storage ideas yourself!
Sewing techniques you need to learn today!
- Setting the correct pressure on the presser foot has a big impact on your sewing project and the quality of the end result. Adjusting the pressure on your presser foot is a very important step you might need to take in each and every sewing project. Learn how to adjust presser foot pressure here.
- But tension setting requires a little more than just adjusting the presser foot pressure. Bobbin tension plays a big part too and many sewing machines require adjusting the bobbin tension too. Learn about bobbin tension here.
- Do you know how to use your seam ripper properly? Do you really know what all those seam ripper parts are for? Check out if you’ve been using it wrong or not in this tutorial for proper seam ripper use.
- Love sewing with striped fabric but never manage to match those stripes right? See how to match stripes perfectly with this crazy easy tip!
- Do you know how to clip and notch seam allowances? If this sounds nothing but gibberish to you, then checking this tutorial is just what you need to shed light!
- Have any tips for cutting fabric square? Here’s how I true up fabric and always get perfectly straight fabrics!
- Having plenty pincushions on hand plays a big role in making sewing faster and easier for me! But do you have to purchase them all? Not really! Making your own pincushion is so easy peasy and a great way to use up some fabric scraps and recycled items, like a photo frame. Check out how I made mine here and here.
- Choosing the right sewing needle types for your projects makes a huge difference! Understand all about sewing machine needles with this simple and easy needle guide that will help you choose the right needle every time!
Add interest with these details
- Gather fabric like a pro, easy, fast and pretty with this handy trick!
- Add more interest to your garments when you incorporate the shirring technique! Shirring is a lot easier than one might think and it’s such a pretty detail for garments or even home decor items!
- Did you know you can box corners in three ways? Check them all out here!
- Got your eye on a pretty project that requires vinyl? Check out these tricks for sewing with vinyl to get the best results!
- Or laminate your own fabric at home for a similar fabric! Check out how I make my own here!
- Lettuce hem! Yup, this is an actual thing in sewing, I have not invented this word or technique and this pretty hem looks like this!
- Love the look of those corded bag handles? Making your own is crazy easy and fun! See how I make mine here and here!
- Having a beautiful finish on your seams doesn’t have to involve investing in a serger, if it’s not in your budget! Finish seams without one by either using a zig zag stitch, a French seam or a flat fell seam.
Now that you have so many sewing tips, tricks and hacks in your arsenal, sewing like a pro will be a dream come true pretty soon! Happy sewing!
Pin to save for later